The Fourteenth Japan International Manga Award
The 14th Japan International MANGA Award Guidelines for Application
To spread MANGA culture overseas and promote international cultural exchanges through MANGA.
(1) The Gold Award of the Japan International MANGA Award will be given to the best MANGA work, the Silver Award to three excellent works, and the Bronze Award to other eleven works.
(2) The Gold Award and the Silver Award winners will be invited to Japan approximately for 10 days on the occasion of the award ceremony as a extra prize (the Bronze Award winners are not entitled).
3. Conditions of Entry
(1) Eligible MANGA works need to be composed of more than 16 pages. Both published and unpublished works are eligible to apply, excluding the past winning works of Japan International Manga Awards.
(2) Eligible MANGA works should be the ones which have been produced within the past three years (2017-2020)from the date of application.
(3) Eligible MANGA works must be submitted in printed form. (Submission of data might be required later on.)
(4) Overseas publishing companies can apply to the Japan International MANGA Award, upon confirmation from the MANGA artists of submitting their work.
(5) Either the comic artist or story writer of the submitted work has to be a foreign national. Also the representative who will participate in the invitation program given to the Gold / Silver Award winners must be a foreign national.
(6) Only one work may be submitted per applicant.
Only one work may be accepted under one title (or series).
In case that a collection of short stories is to be applied, only one story will be accepted for examination.
Duplicate entries will be invalid.
(7) For the purpose of publicity, the MANGA Award Executive Committee may upload the winner’s MANGA works (partially) on its website upon obtaining approval from the artists.
4. How to Apply
(1) Application Period
April 6th 2020 – July 10th 2020 (entries must arrive by this date)
(2) Applications should be sent to either i) or ii) below.
i) Japanese Embassies or Consulates General (Check online for each address.)
MBE193 The 14th Japan International MANGA Award Executive Committee
Shinjuku Oak Tower 2F, 6-8-1 Nishi-shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN
(3) Two copies of your work must be submitted.
(Additional copies may be requested for works being considered for an award.)
(4) An entry form, filled in either English or Japanese, must be attached to the work.
Page numbers must be indicated on every page of the work.
If the work is not in the form of a book, it needs to be indicated clearly if there is any specific two-page spread in the work.
5. Return of Works
The submitted works will not be returned to applicants. Therefore, if the work has not yet been published, please be advised to submit a copy of the work and keep the original. The submitted works might be donated or exhibited.
After the first round of screening by the Association of Japanese Manga Publishers, the 14th Japan international MANGA Award Selection Committee will be responsible for the selection procedures.
7. Award Ceremony
The award ceremony is planned to be held in Tokyo in February 2021. (END)