Visa applications must be made in person at the consulate. The required documents are explained in the information for each visa category.
There is no need to make an appointment prior to application, except Working Holiday Visa.
Please note that applications for Working Holiday Visa are now closed. For further information, please click here.
The Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh accepts visa applicants who are resident in Scotland and the following council districts in the north of England: Cumbria, County Durham, Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees and Sunderland.
Please check our opening hours prior to your visit. A map is also available.
Visa applicants living outwith our jurisdiction as detailed above should contact the Embassy of Japan in the UK to confirm the application procedure.
Visa information for UK and Irish passport holders
Check if you need a visa for Japan (short-term stay)
Overseas Travel Insurance
• Temporary Visitor Visa and Transit Visa
• Employment/Student/Long-Term Stay (Certificate of Eligibility required)
• Working Holiday Visa
• Volunteer Visa
• Spouse or Child of Japanese National Visa
• Medical Stay Visa
• Long Stay for Sightseeing and Recreation Visa
Normal processing time from the date of application to collection is approximately 5 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and office holidays). It may take longer if we require further confirmation, such as additional documentation or an interview. We will advise you at the time of application.
Passports must be collected by visa applicants in person. Applicants who are unable to visit the Consulate are advised to arrange for someone on their behalf to collect it. In order to do so, the person collecting the passport must provide a photo ID (passport or UK driving licence) and an authorisation letter (any format) signed by the applicant.
Visa fees are payable in cash. Visa fees vary depending on nationality and the type of visa (see the visa fees list). Please note that we do not accept cheques or credit/debit cards.
Visa Section, Consulate General of Japan
2 Melville Crescent, Edinburgh EH3 7HW
Tel: 0131 225 4777 (Please listen to the automated English guidance and then select option 1)
Fax: 0131 225 4828
Japan Visa Information Hotline: 0800 041 8412 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls will be answered in English)
*Domestic call fee may apply.
The Hotline online provides general Japanese visa information and will not connect to the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh.
Please contact the Consulate for enquiries related to individual visa applications.
• Notice regarding Working Holiday Visa applications
• Notice: IMPORTANT NOTICE ON NEW RESTRICTIONS RELATED TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
• Visitors to Miyagi, Fukushima and Iwate prefectures
• Start of a new residency management system
• Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law
• The New Residency Management System Starting on July 9, 2012
• Guide to Japanese Visas (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan)
• Guide to Living in Japan (PDF)
• Immigration Services Agency of Japan
• Japan National Tourism Organisation