The Government of Japan has decided that from 03 April, 2020, foreign nationals who have been in the United Kingdom within the 14 days before arriving in Japan are not permitted to land in Japan unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Since 1st October 2020, foreign nationals have been permitted to newly enter Japan from (in principle) any country/region provided they meet the requirements of the Global Residence Track, i.e. provided a host company/organisation can guarantee that disease control measures will be followed.
However, from 24th December (Japan Standard Time), foreign nationals will not be permitted to travel from the UK and newly enter Japan under this scheme, for the time being. Specifically, anyone holding a visa for Japan which says “EX-R” in the Remarks section will not be able to enter Japan from the UK using this visa. Until further notice, we will not be able to accept visa applications based on the Global Residence Track scheme, and any applications which we have accepted will take a considerable amount of time to be processed.
For other applicants (e.g. spouse or child of Japanese national), please familiarise yourself with the additional requirements relevant to your visa status prior to your application as per the information linked on our front page “PLEASE CLICK HERE”.
We will in principle not accept other types of visa application until further notice.
Visa applications must be made in person at the Consulate. The required documents are explained in the information for each visa category.
In normal circumstances, there is no need to make an appointment prior to application, except for Working Holiday Visa. However, due to the current situation related to the coronavirus pandemic, we have introduced a consular appointment system to maintain social distancing within our premises. Please do not attempt to visit the Consulate without arranging an appointment with us beforehand. For further information please see the following page: Important Notice.
Please also see the following notices:
- Border enforcement measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (Covid-19)
- Re-Entry by Foreign Nationals who Possess a Status of Residence
The Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh accepts visa applicants who are resident in Scotland and the following council districts in the north of England: Cumbria, County Durham, Darlington, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees and Sunderland.
Please check our opening hours prior to your visit. A map is also available.
Visa applicants living outwith our jurisdiction as detailed above should contact the Embassy of Japan in the UK to confirm the application procedure.
Visa information for UK and Irish passport holders
Check if you need a visa for Japan (short-term stay)
Overseas Travel Insurance
• Temporary Visitor Visa and Transit Visa
• Employment/Student/Long-Term Stay (Certificate of Eligibility required)
• Working Holiday Visa
• Volunteer Visa
• Spouse or Child of Japanese National Visa
• Medical Stay Visa
• Long Stay for Sightseeing and Recreation Visa
Normal processing time from the date of application to collection is approximately 5 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and office holidays). It may take longer if we require further confirmation, such as additional documentation or an interview. We will advise you at the time of application.
Passports must be collected by visa applicants in person. Applicants who are unable to visit the Consulate are advised to arrange for someone on their behalf to collect it. In order to do so, the person collecting the passport must provide a photo ID (passport or UK driving licence) and an authorisation letter (any format) signed by the applicant.
Visa fees are payable in cash. Visa fees vary depending on nationality and the type of visa (see the visa fees list). Please note that we do not accept cheques or credit/debit cards.
Visa Section, Consulate General of Japan
2 Melville Crescent, Edinburgh EH3 7HW
Tel: 0131 225 4777 (Please listen to the automated English guidance and then select option 1)
Fax: 0131 225 4828
Japan Visa Information Hotline: 0800 041 8412 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls will be answered in English)
*Domestic call fee may apply.
The Hotline online provides general Japanese visa information and will not connect to the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh.
Please contact the Consulate for enquiries related to individual visa applications.
• Notice: Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel
• Notice: Entry and Re-Entry of Foreign Nationals with Special Exceptional Circumstances
• Notice: Re-Entry by Foreign Nationals who Possess a Status of Residence
• Japanese Government Initiatives relating to Covid-19
• Notice regarding Working Holiday Visa applications
• Visitors to Miyagi, Fukushima and Iwate prefectures
• Start of a new residency management system
• Changes to the Basic Resident Registration Law
• The New Residency Management System Starting on July 9, 2012
• Guide to Japanese Visas (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan)
• Guide to Living in Japan (PDF)
• Immigration Services Agency of Japan
• Japan National Tourism Organisation