The application for a Police Certificate must be submitted by the applicant in person at the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh. Our opening hours are 09:30 - 12:30 and 14:00 - 16:30, Monday - Friday, except public holidays.
Documents required for the application are as follows:
1. Contact details form*
2. Application form for Police Certificate*
3. Fingerprint form (supplied by the Japanese police authority)
4. Documents to support your application, which must clearly state why you require a Police Certificate (e.g. a letter from the organisation where you will be employed, the written regulations of the organisation or authority)
5. Valid passport
*We will ask you to complete form 1.and 2. at the Consulate.
- Please collect the fingerprint form at the Consulate. You can request the form to be posted, provided you supply us with an A4 stamped addressed envelope, with a 1st class LARGE stamp. Please enclose a note with your contact details and reason for application.
- Please contact your local police station to arrange fingerprinting. They may require appointment and also fees may be applicable. If your local station does not provide you with the service, please enquire Gayfield Police Station or St Leonards Police Station in Edinburgh.
Police telephone number: 101
- Please make an appointment with the Consulate for application.
All documents will be forwarded to Japan and it will take approximately 2 months to receive your Police Certificate.
There is no charge for the Police Certificate.
We strongly advise applicants to collect the Certificate in person from the Consulate, as it contains private and confidential information. If you cannot collect the certificate in person, you can arrange for someone to collect it on your behalf. In order to do so, the person collecting the certificate must provide a photo ID (i.e. passport or UK driving licence) and an authorisation letter (any format) signed by the applicant. Alternatively, if you wish to receive the certificate by post, please provide us with a pre-paid Special Delivery envelope. Please note that the Consulate will not accept any responsibility for any problems which may occur during the postal delivery.
Consulate General of Japan
2 Melville Crescent
Edinburgh EH3 7HW
Tel: 0131 225 4777 (Please press 2 to listen to options in English, and then 2 for the Consular Section)