Official Translation of Japanese Driving Licence
If you wish to exchange your Japanese driving licence for a GB driving licence at the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency), your Japanese licence must be accompanied by an official translation, which is available from the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh.
Please contact the DVLA if you have any queries about exchanging your driving licence.
Application and collection
Please send us the required documents by post. We will contact you by email on receipt of the documents. It will take 5 working days to process the application from the date when we receive the documents.
- One completed and signed application form
- Photocopy of front and back of valid full Japanese driving licence
- Photocopy of your valid passport (ID page only)
Our postal address: Consular Section, Consulate General of Japan, 2 Melville Crescent, Edinburgh EH3 7HW
Collection must be made in person. Please arrange an appointment with us online beforehand.
For further information about appointments please see the following page: Online booking system.
Please bring the following documents to your collection appointment :
- Original valid full Japanese driving licence
- Current valid passport
- Certificate fee of £13.00 (as of 1 April 2023) Cash only
If you arrange for someone to collect the translation on your behalf, they must bring the following additional documents:
- Photo ID of the authorised person (e.g. passport, GB driving licence)
- Authorisation letter signed by the applicant
For further enquiries, please contact the Consular Section.
Tel: 0131 225 4777 (Please listen to the automated guidance in English, and then select option 2)
Retrieving your Japanese driving licence
When your Japanese driving licence has been returned to us from the DVLA, we will contact you by email.
Please send us the following items to receive it by post:
- Stamped self-addressed Special Delivery envelope
- Photocopy of ID page of your valid passport
- Letter requesting the postal return of your Japanese driving licence
- The Consulate cannot be held responsible if the Japanese driving licence submitted to the DVLA is not returned to us.
- Please send us the above items to receive your Japanese driving licence from us as soon as possible. Should you not wish for your licence to be returned, please inform us.
- Please note that we will not be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the posting of your documents or driving licence.
- Fees are subject to review and are liable to change as of 1st of April every year.